More and more fathers are electing to stay at home, minding the children, while their wives go out to be the bread winners of the family. This very non-traditional role is taking more and more root in society, and yet, it is still viewed as foreign, other, scary.
How can being a stay-at-home dad become trendy?
Some things to do, to encourage the At-home Father in your life.
1. Remind him that you value his masculinity. Not too many men can rock a pink frilly apron and a vacuum, and make it look sexy. Make sure he knows that you still find him attractive, that you haven’t forgotten that he is still a man. Remember that being an at-home father is thankless, and then thank him for all he does. Remind him that he still makes your heart go pitter-patter.
2. Encourage him to take time to get out with the guys. Men need to be allowed to nurture their relationships with their boys, because it helps them feel secure in who they are. Encourage your man to spend an evening in the pool hall, swilling a beer or two, and bonding with the fellas.
3. Make the effort to rescue him from the mundane. Send the kids to bed early, and have a candle-lit dinner just the two of you. Talk to him about his day, and praise him for the efforts he put forth. Rave over the spotless counters, or the lack of dirty laundry.
4. Engage his brain. Debate politics, or discuss the latest New York Times review. Ask his opinion on your last project at work, and tell him of your failures. Make him feel like his brain is still a valuable tool, and that he is not just a load-bearing pack animal in your eyes. Remind him that you find his brains as attractive as his brawn.
5. Appreciate his sacrifice. Remember to say ‘thank you’ on occasion. Thank him, not only for minding the children, but putting his masculinity on the line, for stretching the boundaries of what he is comfortable with, and for being daring enough to be a stay-at-home dad.